Thursday, September 17, 2015

Musings on Tough Questions

TQ-610
But again they did not understand His meaning, and they were afraid to ask Him for an explanation. Mark 9:32

Time and again the disciples were puzzled by the teachings of Jesus.  Imagine being in that same place day after day... retiring with Jesus to a remote place and scratching your head re: what you just heard.  The crowds were confused.  You're part of His entourage and afraid to let Him know you're in the same boat.  Hmmm.
 
For some reason we think hanging out with Jesus means everything is gonna be crystal clear.  

"My thoughts are not your thoughts..."
 God spoke through the prophet Isaiah (55:8).
 
"I was senseless and ignorant; I was a brute beast before you."  Psalm 73:22
 
I was relieved to read "Doubt is the halfway house to faith."  Os Guinness
 
How can we be immersed in the fundamentals of our faith without becoming a fundamentalist (prideful, arrogant, exclusive, without mercy)?
 
We can be genuine followers of Jesus and still work our way through doubt to a place of deeper trust and faith.
 
Back to the disciples...
 
In John 14 we see Philip doing what many of us do, asking Jesus to make everything clear and then we'll be ok. Jesus says, I am the path, the truth, and the energy of life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.  If you know Me, you know the Father. Rest assured now; you know Him and have seen Him.  (14:6-7)
 
Lord, all I am asking is that You show us the Father.  (14:8 Philip's request)
 
I have lived with you all this time, and you still don’t know who I am? If you have seen Me, you have seen the Father. How can you keep asking to see the Father? (14:9)
 
It's like He is saying, "Hey, check it out.  I'm here.  Even in seasons of question and doubt.  I am good.  It will all get sorted. And it's better to hang out with Me."'
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment