Friday, April 8, 2011

Righteous!

According to urbandictionary.com righteous means "awesome, amazing, cool and exciting." "A state of extreme perfection bordering on divinity that bestows moral authority upon the subject." "Dude, did you see Chuck Norris kick all those guys in the head ? That was righteous!"

Obviously a wide variety of meanings in our day and age...

"Righteous" is used a lot in the Bible. We are presently studying through 1 John where we get some insight the meaning.

My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. 1 John 2:21

If you know that he is righteous, you know that everyone who does what is right has been born of him. 1 John 2:29

Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. He who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous. 1 John 3:7

My favorite definition of righteous is "to be fully conformed to God's will." That is why Jesus is called the "Righteous One."

That makes it so much easier to connect with. Think about your life right now, what would it look like to be righteous - fully conformed to God's will?

The first step is to simply recognize His will.

You might be getting hit with something like the following:
  • I can't shake this urge to help kids caught in child trafficking...
  • I'd love to get connected with a group of people who are being real and growing...
  • If I keep going in this direction it is going to destroy me and the people I love...
  • I'm drifting away from God and need to get things right with him...
The second step is to respond
  • What steps can I take right now to pursue this burden on my heart?
  • What practices can I engage in to live the kind of life Jesus lived?
  • Where can I get the support and strength I need to get free, to follow Jesus?
I grew up thinking righteous was all about trying to be good. What an exhausting perspective.

Now I see it is so much more about responding to the Righteous One!






0 comments:

Post a Comment