Friday, January 8, 2010

House Projects and the New Year

Over the holidays I took on a house project that turned into multiple projects... I'm "semi" handy around the house, and I tend to resist paying for stuff I think I might be able to do (which can get me into trouble).

We had some water damage in our basement for which we received a small insurance settlement. So I decided to tile the bathroom, which involved tearing out the damaged linoleum (circa 1980), drywall repair, finishing, plumbing repair, painting, etc.

The toilet was sitting up an inch above the floor for all these years. What I didn't understand was the huge cast iron pipe connected to the toilet was higher than it needed to be.

So you've heard the slogan "You can do it, we can help." Well, it is sometimes better translated "You'd like to think you can do it, and there's nobody around here who can help you, but we've got some stuff you can buy..."

Actually, I found a guy at the store named Scott who was very helpful. After I explained the situation, he told me what I needed to do, how I could cut the pipe (and how it would be a nightmare...). He led me to the right cutting wheel for my grinder and a flange I could bolt into the concrete, etc.

So I cut the cast iron pipe, and everything worked just like Scott said it would, including the nightmare part :)

So what's the point? There's not much you can do without help in the Christian life. God made it that way. We are at our best when we are most dependent. We need God and we need each other. We are at our best when God's grace enables us to do what we couldn't do in our own strength.

Are you facing some significant challenges in your life? Are you wanting to grow in your spiritual journey, and wanting your life to count. You can make a difference on this planet!

Find a local church community where you can agree with the basic mission and direction, where you see God at work in people's lives, and enter in. Don't let distraction or discouragement keep you away. God is at work in your life, your relationships, your job, your community - and you are invited to join Him.
Let's enter in together in 2010!

"Receive and experience the amazing grace of the Master, Jesus Christ, deep, deep within yourselves." Philippians 4:23 Message Version

And yes, btw, everything in the bathroom is fixed and working.

0 comments:

Post a Comment